Homesteading can be a daunting goal.
You need to. . .
- Grow a big garden
- Preserve your harvest
- Raise animals for food
- Keep a clean house
- Cook healthy meals from scratch
- Stick to a budget
- Save for a rainy day
- Put away food and supplies for an emergency
- The list goes on and on.
So naturally, anyone that starts a blog and publicly proclaims themselves as homesteader must be a superhero, right? They must do it all and with a smile.
Obviously, life doesn’t work that way. I talked in an earlier post about my homesteading failure this spring.
Today, I want to confess 10 things that will help you understand that while I am a self proclaimed modern homesteader, I’m also just a person.
I’m not good at everything. I don’t know everything there is to know about homesteading. I’m not perfect.
Here we go!
10 Confessions of a Modern Homesteader:
- I kill all house plants. I know, right? I do great in the garden but for some reason I forget about houseplants and they die from neglect.
- I am allergic to animals. It has gotten better since I am around them all of the time, but I am still allergic to dogs, cats, horses or anything else with long hair.
- I don’t like avocados. They are super healthy for you, but I can’t stand the taste. Others in my family love them, so I will use them in recipes sometimes, but I don’t eat them.
- My least favorite room to clean in the house is the bathroom. I always put it off to the last, which isn’t smart.
- I have a history degree from Texas A&M University, which is an agricultural school, but I never took a class in agriculture. I wish I had now.
- Since our house fire 3 years ago, I have a box of photos that I need to put in scrapbooks but I have a mental block towards this task. I think it is because when I open the box they are in, I smell smoke.
- I take notes in spiral notebooks for whatever new thing I am trying to learn. I have tons of notebooks all over the house, but I hardly ever look at them again once I’ve made the notes.
- I live in Colorado, but I don’t like the winter time. It is fun until New Year’s, and then I get tired of the cold and hassle of the snow.
- There are weeds in my garden. Lots of weeds. I try to pull them before I take a picture, but they always come back.
- I am really struggling with raising 3 teenage boys right now. I know I’m going to miss the good stuff when they are gone, but I am just wondering how I am going to raise them to be the men I know they can be.
So that is it! Are you shocked? Surprised? Disappointed? Sometimes readers see bloggers as people that have it all together. Clearly I am far away from that ideal. But I just want you to know that I am a real person with real struggles. I learn new things every day and try my best to share and grow as much as possible. I want to be here to help you on your homesteading journey even though I don’t have it all figured out. Is that okay? I hope so because I am having a blast doing it!
Is there anything you would like to confess about your homesteading journey? Please let us know in the comments below. Thanks!