We got our bees last weekend! It was so exciting and scary, but we did it. There is more to that story, but first. . .
Why do we want honeybees?
Beekeeping is a hobby that has always intrigued me. It looked fun and scary at the same time. We love honey in our house, so that was definitely a factor as well.
But mostly, I kept hearing on the tv and internet that the bee population was on the decline. Bees do so much for our food and environment, that I thought I would try to help them. Here is an infographic about all the things that bees do and why it is important to save them.
Thanks to beethinking.com for this infographic above.
How did it go?
We got a 3 pound package of italian bees for our first hive.
We got the bees home and had the hive ready to go. When we opened the package of bees, we looked for the queens’ cage. When we found it, it was empty. The queen was not there.
We looked in the box and in the hive where we had already put them. We thought we saw the queen, but we could not collect her. We are hoping that they already ate through the candy to get the queen and that they have accepted her.
It has been 4 days since we got the bees, and they have stayed with the hive. Hopefully that means all is well. We will know soon enough.
What do we do now to help the honeybees?
- Plant plants that help the bees. By planting sunflowers, lavender, mint, oregano, rosemary and other bee friendly plants we are helping take care of the bees in our neighborhood.
- Take care of the bees we have. By becoming beekeepers, we can take care of the bees that are under our supervision.
- Don’t use insecticides that hurt the bees. Most of the decline of bees comes from the chemicals we are using outside. We need to eliminate these as much as possible for healthy bees.
- Buy local honey. When you buy local honey, you are usually buying from smaller sources that take care of their bees and don’t use harsh chemicals. This also makes for healthier honey for your family.
- Buy organic food. Organic food doesn’t use the harmful chemicals that is killing the bees. This is good for the bee population.
- Make a bee watering station in your garden. By leaving water for the bees in your garden, they are more likely to come there to rest. That means they will help pollinate your plants. It is a win for everyone.
Honeybees are a tiny but important part of our world and environment. Anything we can do to help them thrive in this crazy world is something we should do. I am excited about beekeeping and hope that we can increase our operation each year.
Do you have ideas of how we can help save the honeybees? Please let us know in the comments below. Thanks!