I have had kind of a hard month. I turned 40 this month, and I am not feeling the way I want to feel.
I have tried to eat healthy, but stresses lately have made me yo-yo from healthy to non-healthy foods back and forth with no consistency.
In the past, when I have consistently eaten only real food, I feel better. I have a better outlook on life and feel younger.
This has been weighing on my mind this birthday month, and I realized I need to eat better to feel better. So for my birthday, I was given an Amazon gift card which I used to buy these 2 books:
100 Days of Real Food by Lisa Leake
100 Days of Real Food: Fast and Fabulous by Lisa Leake
These (along with Lisa’s blog) got me motivated to start a 100 Days of Real Food Challenge this summer starting June 1, 2017!
- As I said, I turned 40 this month. That was a wake up call to me that I need to get my health back in shape.
- Summer is the best time to find fresh food because of my garden and our local farmer’s market.
- Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today! It is never too late to rededicate yourself to a healthy lifestyle.
- Through my healthy habits series, I have started some of these rules, but not all of them. Now is the time to get serious!
What are my rules?
The rules above are set by Lisa on her 100 Days of Real Food Blog. I am going to be doing this challenge on $150 a week budget (which is more than we usually spend on food).
My big concern is meat. I intend to use local meat when possible, but I am going to have to concede to using grass fed, no nitrate/nitrite meat from the grocery store when needed.
Besides meat, all of the other rules are very doable. I plan on making my own bread and I hope to find a local source for RAW milk this summer as well.
What do I hope to accomplish?
- I would like to lose weight.
- I would like to decrease inflammation. I have plantar fasciitis in my heal and carpal tunnel in my arm that I hope to decrease these by eating real food.
- I would like to change my taste buds so that fruits and vegetables taste better to me. I know this will happen when I cut down on sugar and artificial flavors.
- I would like to have more energy.
- I would like to feel overall more healthy. That is hard to quantify, but I know real food will help me get there.
I am actually very excited about this challenge. We have been eating a lot of junk food with the end of the school year. We have been so busy with school, baseball, gardening, scouts, etc that food has been pushed to the bottom of the list.
I want my home to be a island of real food in a sea of unhealthy and toxic food choices. I am making this 100 days of real food pledge for myself (all the time) and my family when they are home. I have teenagers, so I do not pretend that I can control what they eat all of the time. But by having only real food choices at home, they should be healthy eaters most of the time.
Are you interested in the 100 days of real food challenge? Please let us know in the comments below. Thanks!
Start Homesteading Wherever You Are
Sign up for our email list and you will get this 6-Day Email Course in your inbox today! You will learn about gardening, raising animals, homesteading skills and emergency preparedness. We will also keep in touch weekly with post updates and homesteading news.